Friday, June 24, 2016

Welcome home, Shasta

After searching literally every day for over two years, I finally bought a camper.  Say hello to my new best friend, my 1973 Shasta 1400.


Hello friend!  I've been waiting!

After stalking Craigslist, Ebay and all of the local shopper ads, it was my dad who found this little number sitting waaaaaay back in the trade-in lot of a dealership half an hour away.  It had been there for awhile.  Litter left in the camper makes me think it was last taken out in 1996, I have no idea how long it had been at the dealership.  They didn't even know what I was talking about when I called to ask about it.  After buying it I had it towed to a tire place to have the brakes checked, bearings packed, a new wheel and a pair of tires put on.  It's going to need some work to make sure it's water tight and travel safe, then I can paint the outside and spruce up the inside.

A shout out to the great and friendly folks over at Vintage Trailer Talk !  The thought of doing things like repairing water damage, fixing electric and removing the aluminum skin made me feel ill before I joined this site.  The amazing people I've talked to there have given me the confidence to dive in on repairs.

I'm thinking those tan stripes are going to be painted a pine green color, or maybe red,  and the interior done up with (usable!) vintage camping gear.  No glamping here.  Think Stanley, Coleman, Hudson Bay type stuff. Also, a small piece of taxidermy.  As the husband put it: "So you want Mark Trail's den?" Yes, yes I do.
Yeah, sorry Mark, but this camper project is probably partially your fault.  





No comments:

Post a Comment