Friday, December 16, 2016

An illicit purchase

I finally had to break down today and purchase something I have not bought in three years.


These.

It's a sad day.  We've been without any of our award winning eggs for about a week and a half now and there is only so much toast a person can eat for breakfast. Pep talks have not worked ("Hey ladies, if you get some free time today maybe someone could lay a damn egg") treats of leftover mashed potatoes and bread crusts haven't made an impression either.

The cartons look so exotic in the refrigerator.

I froze a bunch of eggs over the summer but we've run out.  The bright side is that I have an older easter egger hen who lays her first egg of the year between Christmas and New Years like clockwork, so it won't be long. Trying to pick out the most ethical, humanely produced carton on the shelf is such a hand-wringing event for me it's a big part of why I got a flock in the first place. That and laziness. It's much easier when groceries just appear out in the yard.

Christmas is coming up and I should start think about baking. I'm thinking of a bunch of mini bundt cakes;  the Bicardi rum cake my mom made,  this lemon buttermilk cake and something else, maybe chocolate.

Baked a couple of loaves of bread today.  A nice seeded one with flax, chia and sunflower seeds and a sweet bread with whiskey-soaked dried fruit.




2 comments:

  1. I love the smell of fresh baked bread in our home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's such a welcoming smell. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete