Friday, July 19, 2019

More dead birds, serves me right I guess.

It only seems fitting that after posting yesterday about all of the life going on here that I should walk outside this afternoon to find something had been killing my birds again.  In the pen.  In the middle of the day.  So either our coyote is back or our fox is causing trouble.  I didn't see the animal but may have scared it off screaming "OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE!" when I saw the carnage.  I think this is a pretty reasonable reaction considering how badly we've been hit this year.  I estimate that we've lost 30 birds total to predators this season.  90% of them in the middle of the day.


I lost more 3 more pullets and I assume both of my pheasants are dead too.  


The pheasants are gone but the pullets were just found laying around the pen dead.  Not a scratch on any of them, feels like broken necks.  Whatever it was went over the fence again.  Just like last time.

I am ready to give up.  The number of birds we've had killed this year is just insane and there is absolutely nothing I can do to stop something from climbing the damn fence when we're not home. 


4 comments:

  1. I have had a fox attack on chickens, and it is carnage so I do agree with your shouted statement. I feel for you as the attack is such a waste, if they stole a bird for a meal you could understand, but they just kill everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. That's the thing. I wouldn't even mind if a bird was taken here and there for a meal. As a hunter myself I can support that. But this is just killing for sport, which I hate.

      Delete
  2. My condolences. It's tough to take.
    Regards, Specks.

    ReplyDelete