Tuesday, February 13, 2018

So much to talk about

So much to talk about but not a lot to say lately.  It's funny that the most important things aren't the ones I'm racing here to share.
 Let's start with the easy stuff. The geese have started to lay eggs this week along with one of the ducks. 


Today's haul: 2 goose eggs, a duck egg and 4 chicken eggs.  The quail haven't started to lay, probably because they know I'm planning to locally barter some of their fertile eggs for Welsh Harlequin eggs.



The geese are mostly "Who cares?" when I gather these.  Goose eggs are huge.  My father gifted me an amazing pasta attachment set for my Kitchen Aid mixer for Christmas and I'm thinking that the goose eggs are going to be made into noodles.  Possibly a couple of salt cured egg yolks which I didn't even know was a thing but apparently is popular in Spain.  The yolks are preserved to the texture of hard cheese and then grated over dishes like pastas and salads.


It's been really mild this week. We've been outside a lot.  My little man has had "egg gathering" added to his chore list.  He's thrilled.  Bee is always with us, following us around like a dog when we're outside.  He's been sleeping through the night for the first time lately and last night I think I figured out why - Bee is sleeping in bed with him.  I remember our cats used to share my bed with me when I was little and how soothing it was to wake up to soft purring.  It's something that can still put me right to sleep in the middle of the night. 


He's also been asking, on a daily basis to go to "Track Track's house!" Which I quickly figured out means he's demanding to be taken to Tractor Supply.  The big box farm store.  Be still my heart.  


What else.... I sewed this pillowcase for his toddler bed this week.  It took about 20 minutes.  There's also a really simple strip quilt being worked on with construction equipment and tractors.  I hope to finish it this week.


Cooking.  When I have birds butchered I do freeze a couple whole but part most of them up. The wings all get saved in a big bag.  These were excellent; the wings coated in flour, garlic salt and paprika for the baking and brushed with two different sauces.  Hot (half siracha, half honey, pat of butter) and garlic parmesan (grated garlic and butter, sprinkled with shredded cheese). The wings were cooked in the oven while I made the sauces and the whole things finished under the broiler.

Well, that's it for now.  Time to get back to life.

2 comments:

  1. Love the fabric on the pillow case, perfect for a little man. You have been busy, it's great to be able to give young ones their own tasks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene! Love the blankets you've been working on.

      Delete