Thursday, July 23, 2020

Crowing hen, blueberry lemon cake


You can tell who has been wasting too much time on Pinterest.  I made a blueberry lemon pound cake, it was so simple and tastes wonderful.  You will need a big glass of milk with it though. Very rich.  The flowers on top are pansies and borage. Here is a link to the recipe:

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/lemon-blueberry-pound-cake.html

So something absolutely bizarre happened today while the kids and I were outside.  We kept hearing the embarrassing and awkward sound of a bird learning to crow. The only young rooster was still in the pen and this sound was coming from the yard. It was coming from the hen bought at an auction last year.  Normally when someone says something like "my hen is crowing" I do think "oh, this poor idiot can't tell the difference " but now it has happened to me.  From what I can tell chickens either change sex (hormone wise) when there is no rooster and a hen decides to be top chicken (not our case) or when an older hen has something very wrong with her reproductive system.  Come to think of it I haven't seen her in a nest box for a long time to this may very well be the case.

Let me present some proof to rule out day drinking:


Here she is. Comb, saddle feathers, hackle feathers,  mothering skills all = hen. Plus, the year of egg laying.

And here she is crowing on video. What the heckity heck.

2 comments: