Friday, April 5, 2019

Warm wheat berry salad


I forgot to take a picture so here it is, half eaten. It's completely gone now.  Delicious!

I mentioned last post that my dear friend gifted me a jar of wheat berries.  Honestly I wasn't quite sure what to do with them until I found this recipe from Food and Wine Magazine.  We more or less had the ingredients.  It was so good that I'm going to make it again tomorrow.  Perfect for snacking on right out of the refrigerator or poaching an egg into for lunch.  Is it healthy?  I hope so.


This is what I did so I can make it again.  Because I'm already craving more.

One cup wheat berries were cooked in 2.5 cups chicken stock. 
Meanwhile cut a butternut squash into cubes and roast them.  
I sauteed a little bit of bacon (maybe an inch wide chunk of sliced bacon), some white onion, garlic and spinach.  Lots of dried sage. Black pepper.

This is the part I can't really remember (oh, the most important part?) but I *think* I de-glazed the pan and dressed it with a pear balsamic vinegar.  Maybe some regular balsamic as well? Added some raw cubed apples at the end.


And look at this!  My friend is brilliant. She found that the shaker top from a jar of Aldi Parmesan cheese fits on top of a mason jar! 

No comments:

Post a Comment