Sunday, November 11, 2018

A Hank Shaw dinner & the gander


I was sitting in the parking lot of Aldi's on Friday trying to decide what to cook for the weekend. I took a minute to check my e-mail on the phone before I went in the store and found a new recipe from Hank Shaw waiting for me: Basque Cod al Pil Pil.  It looked easy and delicious.  We had it for dinner tonight over some grains with a salad of kale and cabbage as a side.  It was on the table in about 10 minutes.  I adore his recipes, he's never steered me wrong.

We had a wonderful brunch with friends this morning but the day's kind of gone downhill since then.

The gander died, I found him mid-afternoon, with rigor already setting in.  I have no idea what happened.  It's so depressing.  I'm going to call around to some taxidermists tomorrow morning and see if anyone has a bug box I can toss his skull into for a month or so to have it cleaned for my curiosity cabinet.  Usually I do this work myself letting nature take care of 90% of it before whitening and sterilizing the bones but with the cold weather it would take forever to finish.  I started cleaning it tonight by hand but stopped for fear of damaging any of the small bones.

Our oldest still has a really icky cold and now my throat hurts too.  

2 comments:

  1. Saddening to hear you list your gander, he was beautiful, hope your cold clears, our grandson always has a runny nose.

    ReplyDelete