Sunday, May 13, 2018

All the mamas here

In honor of Mother's Day I wanted to introduce you to some of the mamas at our place.


Mama mouse and her family live under a flower pot in the garden. She is currently, God bless her, nursing 6 little ones nearly as big as herself.  Her nest is made with tons of chicken and duck feathers and looks really cozy. Occasionally we lift the flower pot and check on them. They're really cute.


Mama hen. My Red Ranger who hatched babies last year is on a nest again. She has about 10 eggs under her. At least that's what I'm guessing as she tried to rip my glove off when I was marking her eggs. I know there are at least 8 under her. She was super pissed and I gave up before she could decide to kill me.


I think we have a mama sparrow making a nest here. She and her mate have been coming and going regularly but we can't see eggs yet.


The little black and white duck is on a nest but it doesn't look promising for her. We lost the drake about a month ago so I really doubt the ladies are fertile anymore. Also, instead of making a nest in the back of the coop like ducks normally do she decided to park hers right in the doorway. Better view, sure, but it gets rained on and stepped on by everyone else. I'm going to sneak some eggs from her tonight and candle them to check if they're developing.  She's trying really hard though and if the eggs are duds we'll start looking on Craigslist for a couple of babies to give her. She and the Pekin hen have been fantastic Aunts to the ducklings and goslings.


And of course me and the little man at the beach. The three of us spent the day in Erie and had a wonderful time. Came home with some beach glass, driftwood and a really neat water tumbled bone for my curiosity cabinet.  It was a great day.

1 comment: